Sunday, January 31, 2016

Recipe of the Week: Overnight Oatmeal Two Ways

I really love a bowl of hot oatmeal on a cold January morning. However, that is not always realistic because I end up grabbing something that I can eat on the go. I mean, I don't go through the drive through every morning either. I make food that is easy to grab and go. Breakfast sandwiches in my Breakfast sandwich maker. A frozen Jimmy Dean Delight breakfast sandwich, protein shake and a fruit.

All of my 'go-to' quick breakfast items have one thing in common. They are lower in Smart Points values than I feel like I need when working out on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 1/2 hours. There is just not enough protein to keep me satisfied and not enough calories to carry my energy level through to lunch. I end up starving after my Walking for Fitness class on those days and I still have strength training to get through immediately following walking for fitness class. I am usually wiped because I also workout in the morning as well.

I keep seeing things on the web about overnight oats but none of the recipes seemed to have enough of what I wanted. I thought it would be easy enough to slap some things together and have a healthy nutritious breakfast that would carry a Smart Points value of around 10 points. Something filling and high in protein to aid in energy and muscle recovery. I will also be adding my chocolate overnight oatmeal recipe that is only 5 Smart Points and makes a good meal as well on days when I am not hitting the gym.


Overnight Protein Oatmeal

One Serving - 11 Smart Points

Ingredients

  • 1tbspNutiva Chia seed
  • 1scoop(s)Vega Vanilla flavor protein and greens
  • 12cupSilk Almond Coconut Blend, Unsweetened
  • 12cup(s)uncooked quick oats
  • 2TbspPB2 Powdered peanut butter
  • 1mediumbanana(s)

  • Instructions

  • 1. Add dry ingredients into a container with a lid of your choice.  
  • 2. Close lid and shake until thoroughly incorporated.
  • 3. Add almond coconut milk and sliced banana.
  • 4. Close lid and shake vigorously.
  • 5. Place in fridge overnight.




Chocolate Overnight Oatmeal

One Serving - 5 Smart Points

Ingredients

  • 14cupKroger Old Fashioned Oats, 100% Whole Grain
  • 12cupAlmond Breeze Unsweetened Almond coconut 
  • 1TbspMighty Nut Original powdered peanut butter
  • 1tbspHershey's Cocoa, 100% Cacao, Special Dark
  • 12TbspGrocery - Chia Seeds
  • 12mediumbanana(s)

    • Instructions

    • 1. Add dry ingredients into a container with a lid of your choice.  
    • 2. Close lid and shake until thoroughly incorporated.
    • 3. Add almond coconut milk and sliced banana.
    • 4. Close lid and shake vigorously.
    • 5. Place in fridge overnight.









No comments:

Post a Comment