Thursday, December 19, 2013

Conquering My Fears at Pioneer Names

Pioneer Names

My group completed two hikes today. Johnson's Arch and Pioneer Names in Snow Canyon. After completing Johnson's Arch I was ready for a nap, but determined to complete Pioneer Names since it was supposed to be a small but cool hike. It was basically a walk up to the sandy rock in which a few pioneers climbed up into this alcove and wrote their names on the side of the mountain. The earliest was from 1881.
You can't really see the names but they are there.
Halfway up there! The end of the line for me! This time!
With all the emotional breakthroughs and epiphanies I had yesterday it was time to start working on myself. My intense fear of heights. Once we got up closer to the alcove where these pioneers climbed up and wrote their names. I decided that I could climb up there too. I mean, if people from the 1800's could do it why couldn't I? I was feeling courageous. I GOT THIS! I asked the trail guides if we could climb up there. They said sure if you want to. I wanted to, but I was also filling with dread looking up at it. It was high. Did I really want to climb up there? Yes, actually I did. Even standing there looking up at the sheer face, thinking how could I even get up there? I still wanted to. So I did and it was not an easy feat. I did not even make it up to the alcove, once I got about halfway I was to scared to get all the way up there. More so because I was not sure how I would be able to get down. Mrs. Purple was there cheering me on the whole time ad well as the rest of my hiking group. What a difference support makes in times like these. I got up there and Mrs. Purple just kept telling me how courageous I was being and how proud she was of me. That made me feel like I could conquer anything. Now if only I could get down. It was too steep to walk down since I had practically climbed up there. The only option was to slide down the rock on my rear, without ripping my pants open. I felt so proud of myself. It was amazing! I can do anything! I felt like I could take on the world. It was one small step for mankind! HA HA! Yes, I did just equate my fear conquering to the United States landing on the moon. It was that big of a deal to me. I plan to make it back to Snow Canyon possibly this summer to see if I can climb up to the alcove. That is one more entry that I have added to my bucket list. Conquering my fear of heights by making it up to the alcove where the pioneers wrote their names. I just need to keep up with my healthy lifestyle changes and I will get there. Eventually. That is all that matters. I can do this! I will one day not be afraid of heights. I will get all the way up there. One day.
Sliding down the rock on my behind.




No comments:

Post a Comment