Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Hump Day at Fitness Ridge

My wake up call this morning worked! I begrudgingly made it to the 6 AM Stretch Class. Boy was I sore this morning! I felt like I had been run over by a convoy of semi-trucks and desperately needed coffee. Have I mentioned yet that the resort is caffeine free? Probably not, I cursed the world and wished for nothing more than food and a hot cup of Joe to get me through my day. I settled for a hot cup of Chai Spiced tea that was hardly the substitute I wanted, but it worked nonetheless.

I was so looking forward to the lectures that were on the schedule today. It was going to be a day of self-awareness. The lectures also looked appealing today because of how sore I was. Every step I took, I was crying on the inside. If I thought I wanted to give up on Monday, I was wrong. Stretch class helped loosen some of my screaming muscles, but I still wanted to crawl back into my bed and sleep it off. Today would really kill me. Kickboxing this afternoon was not sounding fun at all.

Breakfast was amazing as usual. The food here is seriously delicious. It is amazing how full you can feel when you are eating all the right things. Food will be part of my focus when I get home, even if I do not continue working out right away. I have to get my food right. The rest will follow. Today's hike is Three Ponds in Snow Canyon. The description this morning said lots of sand and some residual snow. Great. When I arrived at the van Mrs. Purple was there waiting for me. Looks like we get our own personal trail guides since it was just the two of us. 
Snow Canyon
Snow Canyon was beautiful again. I was starting to look forward to the daily hikes. There was something so peaceful and invigorating about being out in nature with your own thoughts. Its a good chance to clear your head and think about things that a hectic life does not allow you to do. The soreness I was feeling was exacerbated by hiking through sand and snow. They are not very forgiving mediums to walk on since they tend to move under your feet at every step. If it wasn't so cold, I would have removed my socks and shoes to enjoy the feeling of warm sand under my feet. That is not a feeling you get much of a chance to have here in the desert state of Utah. I suppose you could get a similar feeling by walking on the salt flats of the Great Salt Lake, but why would anyone do that. It doesn't sound appealing at all.


Here I was trudging away though the sand, bringing up the rear. Again. This is something I was becoming okay with. I may not be moving as fast as the trail guides, or even Mrs. Purple, but I was moving nonetheless. Movement is what counts. No matter how slow I go, I am still lapping everyone on the couch. As I was maneuvering through the sandy terrain I noticed that Mrs. Purple had stopped. I assumed it was to take some pictures, wait for me, or a snack time. She had actually stopped because we had reached Three Ponds, already. The more hiking I have been doing the easier it is becoming. I guess practice does make perfect. At risk of sounding like a broken record; it was beautiful. I stood there looking at it in awe.

Three Ponds
After the hike I was feeling good. Sore, but good. Must be all the endorphins from exercising that I have been hearing so much about. Today all the lectures were based on emotional health and emotional eating. Something I definitely need help with. I have come to terms recently that I am a very emotional eater. I need these set of lectures more than I need working out because they are addressing the root of my weight problem. I could always work out at home. If I don't fix my emotional issues then I can never truly get a grasp on my true reasons for weight loss. I am so glad I did attend those lectures today. I learned so much. Some of it was information that I already knew, but some of it was new ideas that were presented brilliantly. I took my anger, at myself, out on kickboxing class. Man, did that feel good. I decided that I would stop making excuses for everything in my life and start holding myself accountable. I can control myself and I needed to make changes in my life for my own sake. I was worth it. With every punch and kick I let another excuse go. Excuse, after excuse, after excuse. I need to get me back. The best me I can be. It all starts here. I go to bed tonight sore, exhausted, and determined. I got this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment