Sunday, April 6, 2014

Green Smoothies?!?! Really?!?!

 I never understood this fascination with green smoothies or green juices. I would always think to myself, "I would never want to eat kale so why would I ever want to drink it?" They just look unappetizing and the thought of it made me want to gag. I would just imagine the smell of brussel sprouts or some other vegetable that I don't like or have not tried. This would cause me to have to keep myself from vomiting profusely.

I happened on a show called Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead. I was captivated. Although, I would never be able to drink all my meals. I love food way too much. It got me thinking that maybe it would not be so bad until I remembered that it would mean drinking vegetables. Then I came across this recipe for Kale, Blueberry, and Almond Milk Smoothie and a light bulb went off. I thought that this might work because it is not all leafy greens and my boyfriend loves all things vegetable so I figured we would try it. Yuck! It was not that good I did have to modify the recipe and with a few modifications I made it drinkable. Although I did add too much lemon so next time I will have to remember less is more. I call it the Blue-Green Smoothie.

Blue-Green Smoothie
Makes two servings. 205 Calories per serving.

  • 1 1/2 c. rough chopped kale
  • 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 c. frozen mango chunks
  • 2 TBS. chia seeds
  • 1/4 lemon with peel on
Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment