Monday, August 17, 2015

Taking Weight Watchers Camping

This last weekend my boyfriend and I took the kids camping. There is plenty of preparation that is required just to go camping and adding weight watchers to the mix caused some stress. This happened when I realized that the kind of food I usually take camping is not exactly 'plan friendly'. Things like Smores, tin-foil dinners, cereal, soda, hot dogs, chips, candy, cookies, bologna or any other deli meat and cheese combination for sandwiches.. Pretty much anything that does not require much effort to make and that the kids can cook over the fire themselves.

I had to totally re-evaluate everything food related. We ended up making tin-foil dinners with a twist. My boyfriend and I started out by portioning out the meat and potatoes and plugging everything into the recipe builder on Weight Watchers E-tools. 8 oz of cubed beef chuck roast and 221 grams of red potatoes for a total of 11 Points Plus. We added as much veggies that we chose. I added garlic cloves, carrots, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and spinach for a total of 0 Points Plus. My boyfriend substituted the spinach for green peppers. They ended up being quite large and for only 11 Points I was excited to cook them.

I make breakfast burritos and wrapped them in non-stick aluminum foil so they can be cooked in the coals from the campfire. The total points for the breakfast burritos was 7 points for 2 burritos. I use Ole Mexican Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps because they are 1 Points Plus for one tortilla and 3 Points Plus for two tortillas. Why you ask? Weight Watchers math, that's why. I also used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (1 PP), 2 oz diced ham (2 PP), and  sauteed vegetables (onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini 1 PP for 1 tsp Olive Oil). I cooked it all up and split it between two tortillas. So the total points is 7 Points Plus for two burritos.

Lunches consisted of tuna sandwiches with Sara Lee Delightful bread and 2 TBSP of olive oil mayo. A total of 6 Points Plus per sandwich. For snacks I took a variety pack of chips to help control portion sizes, diet soda, plenty of water, and sugar free snack pack jello.

I had my food planned out and this was exciting. Now to put this plan to use. This is where it gets hairy. The place we went camping had no service and I forgot to plan for that. I track everything online using E-tools and I didn't even think about how I was going to track my food. The thought never crossed my mind. I know, dumb right? However this was my first camping trip on plan. Since I couldn't track on my phone I felt helpless because I didn't know how many points I had left and this caused my will power to falter. I did good for meals because I had planned and prepped them before hand. Then there were the Smores and the couple bags of chips; not to mention the late night hot dog roasting forte.

Next time I go camping I plan on making sure that I grab some paper trackers at my meeting so that I know exactly where I stand points wise. I will also take foods that will not be willpower kryptonite for me. More planning, prepping, and fruits and vegetables will also be going with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment